Stelios,

I'm sorry if I made you feel bad.  If you are a moderator, you can delete my
posting.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic today - it's nice to get 8 hours of sleep.

It has been frustrating attempting to use fldigi 3.12.3
I mostly use DM780 rather than fldigi.  The Flarq is the exciting new feature,
and my group will not start using it until their Olivia 1000/8 centered at 1500
hz is added.  Here is the scenario:
1. Sets up Olivia custom mode to 1000/8 centered at 1500 hz, then save it.
2. Exit Fldigi and restart Fldigi
3. Select MT63/1000
4. Now try to go back to our custom Olivia 1000/8...@1500hz - by selecting
Olivia custom
5. Fldigi will pop up the custom window showing Olivia 500/8 and forgot that we
centered it at 1500hz.
There needs to be a way to save our custom settings and then to recall it later
on.  Otherwise you will have people asking you to add every customized mode
they can think of.  We simply can not save and later recall a customized
setting.  So the group I am in will not use fldigi/flarq in their nets until
Olivia 1000/8 is added - which I hear it is a low priority item on the fldigi
to-do-list.  Personally I don't see why this is so important to them.  It's not
so hard to change to 1000/8 and center it at 1500hz.  I think Flarq is worth
trying.

By the way, DM780 has lost the capability to use MT63/1000 centered at 1500 hz.
 Fldigi also can not operate MT63/1000 and be centered at 1500 hz.  I can no
longer participate in our group's MT63 nets unless I buy MIXW.  I have been
resisting buying MIXW because there is so much good free software to do the job
- like DM780.  In some versions of DM780 one can center MT63/1000 at 1500hz,
but not with the current version.  DM780 versions have been flip-flopping on
supporting MT63/1000 centered at 1500hz for about 2 years.

Our group can not deviate from our nationwide mandated Olivia and MT63
operating parameters.  I suspect the reason for always being centered at 1500hz
is so that radio's filters or DSP can easily be used to cut out nearby noise.
Filters are centered at 1500 hz.

Maybe I'll just need to give up and buy MIXW?  People who use it seem to love
it.  Or...maybe I'll figure out how to write my own?

The big problem is that fldigi seems to have no error messages.  If there is
anything wrong, it just crashes.  For example, let's say another program has
the COM port open to talk to the radio?  Will I get a simple error message that
the COM port can not be opened?  No, the program crashes with cryptic useless
error messages.

When I first tried using fldigi 3.12.3 it would only start if I turned my radio
off.  If my radio was powered on then fldigi would crash.  Hamlib was somehow
not happy - but fldigi did not give me any error message - it just dies.  I
followed instructions on the yahoo group to delete the file with the settings
and re-entered the settings, and this did not help.  Moving from hamlib to
rigctl seemed to help.

I really think the fldigi 3.11.6 works much better.  I keep both versions
installed in different directories.

As I am writing this email this morning, I tried to reproduce the fldigi 3.12.3
crashes - and it won't crash!  I don't understand.  Late yesterday I installed
Vista Windows Updates and rebooted.   Microsoft issues windows updates every
tuesday.   fldigi 3.12.3 seems to be stable at this time  - why? I do not know.
 Right now I can not reproduce any fldigi crashes - even if I leave HRD or my
own radio control program running at the same time using the rig control com
port.  After a few days of instability, it now seems stable.  Maybe I am the
only one experiencing these problems?

I did join a new group - NBEMSham - to report problems and that is where I saw
instructions on how to delete the files that stored the program's settings.
This did not help, but moving from Hamlib to Rigctl seemed to help.  But today
Hamlib seems to function ok - strange.

Anyway - I know it takes a great deal of time to write software, and that you
provide the software for free.  I probably complained too loudly.  Until this
morning it seemed like fldigi 3.12.3 was completely useless.

I do not think you released a broken version on purpose.  There are so many
different windows operating systems, and people have different hardware.  No
one can test everything.  But for me - well at least DM780 works very reliably
for me.

I purchaed a Palstar AT AUTO auto-tuner early this year.  There was no s/w to
computer control it, so I wrote a Java/NetBeans program.  I've also added
support for my 746pro radio and a friend's ic-7000 radio.  I've added support
for the LDG AT200PC auto tuner and LDG's DTS-6 coax switch.  Fortunately my
software is not very popular so I don't get all the complaints that you must be
getting - hihi.

Ah, I just tried again - now fldigi 3.12.3 can't start.  "Microsoft Visual C++
Runtime Library" "this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in
an unusual way....."

I start fldigi again - and it seems ok.  I've restarted fldigi a few times now
- and it starts ok.  Well, whatever the problem is - it seems to be occurring
less often this morning.  But the problem is still here.

Howard