Rick Karlquist wrote:
> That reminds me.  During the CW Sweepstakes 2 weeks ago, I was trying
> to operate on ~7030 and bursts of RTTY-sounding stuff kept coming
> on the frequency for 5 or 10 seconds every once in a while.
> Is that ALE?

That was not ALE, as the common frequencies used for ALE are up in the
higher parts of the band for US ops and for all unattended, in the
"automatic" sub-bands as defined by the FCC.

 Might could have been Euro ALE, but I doubt it, and you are in their
voice band, so all types of QRM could be there.

Likely it was exactly what you described it as: RTTY of one form or another.

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba