KH6TY wrote:
> Your prejudice is obviously showing! (Uh - long live HFlink and others
> that run unattended transmitters outside the beacon bands and transmit
> without checking for a clear frequency???)

With tongue in cheek: "your ignorance is showing" (in the misinformed
sense, no insult implied)

All unattended ALE operation associated with HFLINK operates solely in
the band segments set aside by the FCC for "automatic" operation,
including unattended. It's a very narrow slice in each band, and quite
full of packet BBS, winlink, and ALE. Given the huge (comparatively)
segments where narrow modes (rtty, psk, etc) are allowed that are free
from competition, I don't see just cause for complaint.

You may not like it, but it's an allowed operation mode in an allowed
band segment.

ALE activity in other portions of the band is attended mode, with the
same guidelines/recommendations for listen before transmit.

> The point Charles is making is that transmitting without listening is
> simply exceptionally inconsiderate on shared frequencies by all widely
> accepted standards of behavior, but you obviously do not get it, and I
> guess you really don't want to, do you... Simply put, "frequency
> sharing" means not using a frequency unless you have made a reasonable
> attempt to verify it is not being used. There is no technology yet
> implemented that makes this possible for an unattended station.
So help me out, how does the repeated rtty transmissions in contest
weekends handle this? I see 100x the examples of xmit without listening
during rtty contests then all the semi-auto modes put together?

Lot's of the (perceived) issue is the classic "hidden terminal" nature
of radio.... you may think a frequency is clear because you hear
nothing, but in fact, it's a qso in progress where you can only hear one
end. You fire up, and turns out you just stomped on someone. Happens on
voice, cw, psk, RTTY, it's equal opportunity. BTW, no one asks in psk
"is the frequency in use?".

So you add a magic "frequency is occupied" device to your digi mode. You
are legitimately on a frequency, in a digi qso. Yet someone who does not
the remote station (hidden) fires up, and stays fired up. At that point,
your anti-qrm tripped, and you just lost the frequency, and your qso is
terminated. They are in a different mode, and did not ask is the
frequency is in use. You would not have decoded it if they did.

Happens all the time. Some versions  of ALE software have reasonable
busy freq detectors. Winkink has deployed & tested busy detection. Yet
in real life it's unusable, as it pretty much derails any legit qso in
progress when other folks (cw, rtty, pactor, whatever) fire up. And when
it's been deployed in the winlink world, there has clearly been
intentional QRM to hold off the digi's.

I see it even now on the ALE net freq's in the auto sub-band: lot's of
space in the cw bands, even for no-code/novice. Yet a cw station will
fire up in the center of the ALE, packet, and winlink all sharing a few
khz for unattended operation. My view, it's tantamount intentional QRM,
as there is a 100% chance of a digi station being queried by a hidden
terminal. I've even heard them joke about it in the CW qso.

It would be a wonderful world if there was a workable solution. I've
tried in the past, and would try again, any workable approach. But what
I find is that the anti-digital hams (including some rtty) will
absolutely take advantage of any good faith attempts to derail legal
activity they don't like.

Personally, I don't think this will ever be resolved until each band is
sliced by bandwidth & nature of operation (wide/narrow, analog/digi,
attended/auto). We'd all lose, but since no one will compromise, there's
not an alternative.

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba