Von: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com] Im
Auftrag von Music Maker
Gesendet: Sonntag, 27. Dezember 2009 13:21
An: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Betreff: [digitalradio] Re: Need your help picking HF radio.

Hello to all Group Members...

I am new to the Group - a 74 Yr Old -just returning to Amateur Radio, after
an absence of nearly 40 years, licenced in 1956, when 'Digital' was just
RTTY, and using 'proper' Teleprinters - Such as the Creed 7B (Anyone
remember these 'clatterers' ? !).

OK - I am new also to Digimode - so perhaps my unbiased view on the topic
here may be helpful (or not?).

I accidentally discovered PSK 31 about a month ago, and since then have
downloaded the many Digimode programs from the net for evaluation for my
needs, and read all I can on the topic, to get insight and knowledge. I
started by just listening (or is it 'watching'?).

I now have bought a 'proper' interface, and just this week have started
transmitting. Only able to work contacts around Europe - Italy, France,
Germany, Norway, Russia, etc on 40M at present, but am sure I will get
further when my antenna is upgraded from a 20ft length of copper wire end
fed through a 9:1 Balun at 15ft hight, to something better I am building.
Plus when (and if!) the Bands 'Open Up' - I don't hear European stations
working anything outside Europe at the moment, so I am quite happy that all
is working as it should!

So - after a long winded pre-amble - here is the reason I write all this, in
this thread ! ....... The Thread starter was wanting to know what
Transceiver to buy for Digimode, that was good and cheap ..... Answer from
me.... I am using a 150 dollar (off Ebay) Kenwood TS 520SE 'Boat Anchor' -
and love it. It does all I need and more, it has all the facilities and
Specs that I need - and more, and - It was cheap !!!

Sorry to 'ramble on, but when you are 74, you have earned the right to bore
the ass off everyone !!!

If - by some strange reason, you are interested in reading about my setting
up the current station, all about the Kenwood TS 520SE Line, and my Amateur
Radio 'Blog' - there are three really big pages of it among all my other
interests on my web site at www.John4Music.TV

All the best to everyone in the Group, for the coming 2010,

Kindest regards,

John G3OBU

--- In digitalradio@ <mailto:digitalradio%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, "kd7jeh" <kd7...@...> wrote:

> Merry Christmas to the Group,
>
> I am looking to buy another HF radio for PSK/digital. I am asking what
features I look for and why. Next question, what radio offers more bang for
the money and why?