Warren,

I have several electronics patents and am often asked by laymen how one invents something, and what to do if they invent something. I advise them that very few inventors come up with something new and just make money off the patent royalties or sale itself. Instead, document and witness the idea, keep it a trade secret, and manufacture the item yourself. I had to do that when I created the first consumer VHF FM weather-alert radio in 1974 and, believe me, it was a difficult struggle, because so many thought the idea was worthless and would not back it. Nevertheless, I went ahead anyway, designed the radios, and built a factory to make them. Today, 27 years later, that concept has blossomed into an entire industry.

With your extensive background in software, maybe people are looking to YOU to research and provide a workable solution. "This will never work" is just part of the discussion and brainstorming process, and not necessarily a negative statement. The idea is to keep throwing out ideas for criticism and discussion, even if at first glance the idea may appear to be unworkable to many.

Yes, suggesting a successful solution often takes lots of thought, and sometimes hard work, if it is to be a reasonably good solution. Saying something "will not work" often spurs others to want to prove that it might. So, don't write those comments off as being completely negative - they just might well become the catalyst of an idea that will work.

I had to go to the extreme step of teaching myself to program in Delphi just in order to write DigiTalk for the blind ham. Not being very smart, nor much of a programmer, it took me many months, but in the end, the program that speaks the PSK31 text as it comes in is in use by the blind ham community (Courage Hams) and I am almost ready to release an updated version for XP, VISTA, and W7 that works with Fldigi and Multipsk.

So, solutions often only come about from long periods of struggle. Fldigi is open source, so anyone who wants to modify the source to add a solution and test it is welcome to do so. Maybe YOU can do it, since you already have a head start with your software experience.

It is a good idea - now show us the solution! ;-)

73 - Skip KH6TY

Warren Moxley wrote:
I have used this Video ID myself after I have seen others do it. Some are using it to show the mode you are in, your Call sign, CQ CQ and just 73's. It is pretty effective. I have started using both RSID TX and Video ID. I have seen many that will use video ID but do not use or refuse to use RSID.

The issue I see on many post is negative. "That will never work because..." I guess negative posts are easier than suggesting a possible solution. Maybe guys are not suggesting solutions because they think someone will shoot it down anyway so why try?

It is better to try and fail than not try at all. I had a boss one time a long time ago tell me that it is easy to tell when a man is not working, he never makes any mistakes.