I'm not sure the solution is a technical one at all.

For instance the ROS users (even many US ones) are still causing major
interference to the Net105 packet network. Even if RS ID was appropriate for
packet (which it isn't) I don't think it would stop the QRM. It's a complete
lack of understanding of what is already present on the bands (witness the
NCDXF incident), possibly no comprehension that they are running a 2.2KHz wide
mode and then maybe an attitude of "my technology is superior (or cooler?) than
yours" even though our network has been operating continuously since 1986.

Can you imagine the uproar if we decided to uproot and choose 14070 for our
packet network?! These very same hams would probably be telling us that 14070
is an established PSK31 frequency and to take our mode elsewhere!

Do many of our new generals/extras just expect to ride roughshod over everyone
else? Or is it a growing attitude amongst more seasoned hams? I don't know the
answer but the attitude I perceive seems much ruder and devil-may-care than it
used to be.

When I was a new HF op I spent 90% of my time just listening and making
absolutely sure I wasn't going to cause any interference to anyone. Now I'm an
older ham I STILL operate where I listen 90% of the time.

If I couldn't have a QSO in a 2.2KHZ wide digital mode because the bands were
full of sigs SO WHAT? I would CHOOSE a narrower bandwidth mode myself or work
some CW or go fishing. I would never deliberately cause QRM.

73

Sholto