Skip,

You may be missing my point, not sure. Let me try again. I will try, English is
not my strongest subject.

Let me say one thing before I get into it. I really appreciate and enjoy your
posts and you seem to have a even temperament which is getting more rare these
days on reflectors. You also seem to have a lot of expertise in RF, which
always makes me think and I am sure I will learn from you. Thank you for all
your work and posts on this reflector.

Writing code is a different process than creating the specs. There many
software developers who can create beautiful code who did not create the specs
or come up with the idea on what to create. Just like there are people who want
something built and have a great idea but have not the talent to do it. Many
times it takes many people involved with different skills to create a product.
I too have a few patents and did not have enough electronics background to
accomplish my project, but sought the advice and help of others to get the job
done. After many years of teaching myself electronics from the basic to the
advanced I finally succeeded in building the project I wanted and got the
investors to help and factory to build it. The problem is these days as far as
a product as concerned to make money, you have to build a product people are
willing to pay for that is more than it cost to make it. Not easy! A lot of
research goes in to it. Starting with a needs
 analysis, that is you have to give them what they want, not what YOU want, and
what they are willing to pay for.

There are many talents involved in creating a good product that will sell. Even
in software, that is software you sell for a profit and is competitive. Often
the idea man, the software developer, and the person who can market the product
are all different people. In very large software projects there may be hundreds
of people all writing different parts of the code who are very specialized in
different areas. Software development is becoming very specialized. These days
I am writing software on ATMEL chips, among some others and am becoming
specialized mainly on this chip manufacture. This is very different from what I
used to do, write software for oil and gas and tele-comms. I majored in Math
and computer science in the late 60's and am still learning every day.

" "This will never work" is just part of the discussion and brainstorming
process, and not necessarily a negative statement. ".  I truly understand what
you are saying, believe me I do!

When I was working as manager of software developers I found it helpful to
brain storm when we were involved in an impossible job and let the ideas flow
freely. When harsh criticism came from people from my team as soon as an idea
came out, people shut up and not another idea ever came from these people. Good
ideas are often over looked because of it. Some of the best ideas our company
had came from these silly ideas the critics hated and would never work.

I had a business partner that was always telling me that we should try this and
that and I would tell him that would never work, only days after I thought
about it and did find a way to do it his way, though it was not easy. He was
not a software guy and he had no idea what could be done and not done. I did
the same to him, he was a great electronics engineer and I was always pushing
him harder and harder to go into areas he was not familiar with. We
complimented each other's talents and some how always solved the problem. I am
now involved with RACES in Garland, Texas. There are many people with a lot of
talents I tap into in areas I do not have the expertise in. I am not
experienced in building antennas, so I ask for help. A great guy who helped me
build a Super J-Pole and he did a wonderful job. I demoed his handy work and
showed that his antenna did what the ARRL claimed. There was a jerk who said,
he did not believe it would do any better job than a
 simple dipole, even though the antenna has proven itself many many times by
many people and was written up years ago in the ARRL antenna book. There is
always one in the crowd.

In my experience, criticism that is harsh, not constructive is NOT warranted,
EVER. Criticism like this is never helpful and only hurts, and is what the
critic mostly wants, to make himself look good at the your expense. I have
learned the hard way that constructive criticism needs to wait until all the
brainstorming is over, otherwise good ideas are passed over.

I am interested in seeing ham radio advance, and we have a lot of talent in
this country, as shown on this reflector.

Anyway I have said enough, and will not have any more to say on the subject.

73,
Warren - K5WGM