--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, KH6TY <kh...@...> wrote:

> Julian,
>
> "Digital" is what the FCC calls "CW-RTTY/data. CW is digital so it is
> included and that is why the digital segment starts at 14.000. The ROS
> author is not a ham. I don't know who is guiding him, but legally as far
> as the US is concerned, he could go higher still and avoid Olivia, but I
> am not sure what else he will run into. Legally, there is another 40 kHz.

I understand. Over here we don't call CW "digital", and some Morse diehards
would probably get very upset if we did. :)

> Good point about radios having a long lifetime. When I introduced
> DigiPan and developed the PSK20 QRP transceiver in 2000, I naively
> designed the IF bandwidth for 4000 Hz,  without realizing that almost
> every transceiver  in the field only has a 2500 Hz If bandwidth. Some
> can be fitted with filters to get 3300 Hz bandwidth, but none could
> reach 4000 Hz! When we came out with PSK63, that extra width is very
> convenient, but still, the average transceiver is not going to see PSK63
> signals at the top of the PSK31 activity, because the IF filter cuts
> them off. Live and learn, I guess...

I would call it a happy accident, for when the PSK activity gets busy enough to
need to spread out more. Transceivers with 2.5kHz filters have VFOs so they can
still catch that activity just by moving the dial above 14.070. I often operate
up there, to get away from the crowd a bit.

Julian, G4ILO