At 01:08 AM 4/9/2010, you wrote:
>A quick fix for this entire mess is to suggest to those running automated
>traffic stations to use the World Wide Web.  The web is faster, less likely to
>be affected by atmospheric changes, and remove a thorn in the side of many ham
>radio operators.

Most of what I have seen in the past has been ship's, boat's or whatever
you would like to label then as sending position reports. That in turn *DO*
end up on the WORLD WIDE WEB. But I can only speak for pactor.

Plus they are at this time in their own little (and I do mean little) part of
the band.

I do a lot of pactor operating and have a system waiting for traffic
that I in turn get on it's way via the WWW. I scan about 12 freq's looking
just for that very same type of traffic.

Take a look at this map.

http://www.winlink.org/userPositions

did you notice that EACH and EVERY one has a ham call?

Just because *some* don't use the mode does  not mean it's a junk mode.
And it would   *really*  be nice if some that did speak up a least operated the
mode before bad talking it.

So please let's not get this started once again.

John, W0JAB
Louisiana, Missouri
pactor 1,2 & 3   24/7/365
in the center of fly over country