Ed G writes:

 >       Using your same logic below,  it could well be determined that hams
 > who partake regularly in 75M evening nets,  or even regular QSO, etc,
 > should take their conversations to FCC Part D  Citizen's band,  or other
 > service ,   because those communications on a regular basis could be easily
 > furnished through those alternative services too.
 >
 >       I know,  its stupid,  but it also carries the same logic as the below
 > example .
 >
 >         K7AAT

Ragchews or roundtable nets with other hams could not be reasonably
accomplished via another radio service, nor could the authorized
purpose of improving international understanding via person-to-person
contacts on the radio.  (Any ham who is using 80m to work other hams
within the reliable range of CB class D probably ought to consider QSY
to 144 MHz or above, but that is wandering pretty far off the topic of
this thread.)

Daily vessel position reports, on the other hand, ARE done via the
Maritime Mobile Radio Service, so obviously they CAN BE.  For
exchanges of email messages between yachts at sea and non-hams ashore
via MM frequencies, see http://www.sailmail.com for a non-profit
connection.  I believe that for-profit public coast stations offer
such services as well.

73 DE KW6H (ex-AE6VW), Chris