This would be a good plan to insure that the Amateur Radio Service is
treated as hobby-only communications.

However, to be able to send traffic that is formatted in usable format
for the players in an emergency, it takes a bit more than FEC, or
throttled back ARQ.

There are none of these problems or restrictions on NTIA spectrum, and
it is another reason that the ARRL probably feels in peril as far as
defending long-haul spectrum for the Amateur Radio Service.

I run a 24/7 RMS WINMOR server.  I run it on NTIA spectrum.  I have had
a P# controller in the past, and will probably invest in another one in
the future.

I wouldn't even consider running a RMS station within the Amateur
spectrum; it is not worth the effort or wear and tear on the equipment
involved to devote an emcomm asset where it has the least chance of
doing anything useful.

If things were different, I would put up a second station 24/7 within
the Amateur Radio Service spectrum.  It simply isn't worth listening to
the whining.

Also, the potential for being effective in an emergency is too heavily
weighted toward Federal spectrum for the same reasons that the
Winlink/P3 whining never ceases when it concerns Amateur spectrum.

You reap what you sow

As far as the bandwidth argument, remember, it is hard to consume like a
humming bird and output like an elephant.

The ARRL is certainly considering the trend that started in the early
90s when the FCC was defunded, and spectrum auction "refarming" was
created.

It is now part of a self-fulfilling prophecy, and will play a large part
in the continuation of amateur radio service having use of the spectrum
it currently enjoys..

David
KD4NUE