Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> How about where the domain is owned by a company rather then an
> individual?  It's common for a company to use the company name as the
> "real name", and/or a roll account.

In this case, the Administrative Contact would be required to authorize the request. This is a big change over the current policy where basically anyone can hold themselves out to be a representative of the registrant. The new policy tightens this down significantly...example...

microsoft.com

Registrant: Microsoft Corp.
Admin Contact: Joe Smith, System Admin
Transfer authorized by: Bill Gates, on behalf of "Microsoft Corp."

Technically, this is an illegitimate authorization. Even though Bill is authorized to act on Microsoft's behalf, the only real party authorized to transfer this name is the admin contact seeing as how the Registrant really can't authorized it themselves (being that its a company, not a person...)

I guess the question is, what happens when "Joe Smith" quits, and it turns out the email he used isn't under the company's control?

What paperwork or documentation is required to prove that Mr Gates is authorized to act on behalf of the company?

Articles of incorporation are fine and dandy, but very simple to forge if you know the recipient isn't going to make any effort to validate or verify them. The process of faxing or photocopying can cover up the traces the paperwork was documented.

--
I'd rather be told "Have a nice day" by someone who doesn't mean it,
than to "F--- OFF" by someone who does.