Last I knew, there was NO SUCH THING as a "transfer lock".  There IS a
"MODIFICATION lock" that happens to prevent transfers.  That is ENTIRELY
different.  If you want to change ANYTHING, you have to REMOVE THE LOCK.
That is dangerous.  Somebody COULD concievably pick THAT time to issue the
transfer request, or you may forget to set it back.  It is appalling that
such an IMPORTANT thing can be stolen with NO culpability.  Someone could
actually ACCIDENTALLY transfer a domain, and NOBODY has to do anything
about it.

Email is NOT a valid notification mechanism in this case.  Blacklists,
SPAM, spam blocks, system failures of all sorts, make email VERY
unreliable.  I have lost perhaps a dozen or more Emails, and I STILL don't
know why!  I changed email servers because of it.  ANYONE passing such a
rule (to require response from your email to PREVENT transfer of an asset)
is either a (place descriptive profainity here) or....  I mean they MUST
know about DNS issues, mail retry limits, ISP changes, blacklists, the
possible deluge of email, etc...  So WHY did they do this?  It is IRONIC
that my first transfer took FOREVER, because I didn't have access to my
old email address(because that ISP shutdown(just one of MANY reasons email
won't be received)).  NOW, they have gone to the other extreme.  At least
if they require a response to COMPLETE the transfer, you would be on the
lookout for it and act accordingly.

BTW what kind of checks and balances are there?  Judging from what I have
seen on transfer requests, and heard from others, AND your statement about
"transfer lock is your friend", AND the articles about locking the domain,
I guess it can't be very good.

BTW Domain slamming was basically outlawed.  Isn't this effectively
legalizing it to a greater degree?

BTW you can develop a traffic stream, reputation, etc.... and make many
MILLIONS!  If the loss of such an asset made YOU lose all that, YOU would
be complaining TOO.  The problem is that too many people see this as a
$10+/year expense, and figure that that is all it is worth, so such
concern is baseless.

That is like Clintons claim that his $200 haircut wasn't that extravegant.
 Did he REALLY miss the fact that airline companies lost tens of THOUSANDS
of dollars(maybe more), nad that people were delayed getting to work and
their families, and that business deals might have been lost, and that
companies might have even LAID OFF PEOPLE because of his "$200 haircur"(He
had it at LAX, and NO planes were allowed to land/takeoff while he was
there).  Even GERMANY has reported that as "hairforce one".  Likewise,
that $10 domain is worth a lot more than $10!

Steve