On 17 1 2005 at 1:15 pm -0500, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

>I usually find when a group moves to a web forum, despite my best intentions
>I stop participateing. I just don't remember to go to the forum, unless I'm
>haveing a big problem. Even newsgroups I only remember every few days.

I have to pipe up with another pair of hands raised in the air here.  I
despise web forums, and don't use them simply because they are too much a
pain in the ass.  NNTP is not so much a problem for me, in part because I
run a newsreader for other purposes anyway and I also appreciate the
threading, etc. -- but the lack of local archive, as well as painful
searchability, is a serious concern which is more important in a
business-related context like this rather than with regular old Usenet
(which is mirrored by google groups anyway).

I just posed a (presumably repeat) question in the blogware group about
an issue that, had it been discussed on a mailing list, I would almost
certainly have kept here and thus would have been able to find the answer
pro-actively.  Tsk tsk.

>Ross has mentioned e-mail "notifications". I've just looked through Phorum
>and do not see any option to do this.  Hopefully what is sent out is the
>actual message, not just a mail that says "A new message has been posted
>here" as some of these web board programs do.

I am hoping the same thing.  I hope that somebody comes up with some
software that will essentially retain the functionality and utility of
these e-mail lists.

-ben
(who still himself hasn't jumped on any RSS bandwagon, although he
increasingly realises he ought to since it is the fad du jour)

--
Ben Kennedy, chief magician
zygoat creative technical services