I usually find when a group moves to a web forum, despite my best intentions I stop participateing. I just don't remember to go to the forum, unless I'm haveing a big problem. Even newsgroups I only remember every few days. Enough times, notifications of things like outages have gone out via this list, and I get those within minutes in my inbox.

I don't use RSS because I have found no way to integrate it into my work flow. It's another windows to have open.

Ross has mentioned e-mail "notifications". I've just looked through Phorum and do not see any option to do this. Hopefully what is sent out is the actual message, not just a mail that says "A new message has been posted here" as some of these web board programs do.

A "me too" to the above. I'll probably solve it by filtering the nntp-messages into my mail folders. (And yes, mailman is very nice.)

I'm somehow not able to login on the NNTP-Server with my login from the "phorum". "A News (NNTP) error occured: No permission". Are there any problems at the moment or does it take some time until the newsserver has the appropriate authentication data (I've subscribed several hours ago)?

Arthur