Hi Friedrich,

On Oct 13, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

> Hi Benjamin, *,
>
> Benjamin Horst schrieb:
>
>> This is exactly why I suggested we look at multiple wiki engines
>> before installing one and proceeding. ACL features of Foswiki make it
>> easy to specify a separate set of pages or an individual page, and
>> control who has edit access, view access, or no visibility of the
>> page at all.
>
>> Details:
>> http://foswiki.org/System/AccessControl
>
> As far as I know there is some mechanism wikis can talk and exchange
> content. Do You know of that feature?

They can generally import pages from other wiki engines, and convert to their
own syntax. I think that's what you are referring to? If so, here is one
example tool: http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MediaWikiToFoswikiContrib

> I think changing the wiki machine later on if this comes up to be useful
> will not be that big deal. For the moment I think mediawiki is a good
> joice because
>
> - people are used to work with
> - its already set up and in use
> - there already technical knowledge is present to drive it
>
> waiting a long time with hands prepared to work also can be frustrating.

All of these are good points. The case for MediaWiki is solid--I just feel that
we might be able to do even better. :)

In fact, based on a comment by Bernhard in another thread, I'm now thinking
about the merits of combining the main website with the wiki into one system
managed by a CMS. This would be more friendly to end users--and could be
managed by a sophisticated system like Drupal. I'm imagining the potential of
its ad hoc group creation tools for managing regional LibreOffice projects,
marketing, events, etc, along the lines of this site: http://groups.drupal.org/

(I'm sorry to have hijacked this thread--will continue on the website mailing
list for those who'd like to follow along.)

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bho...@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)