On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> On Fri Dec 31 2010 11:45:46 GMT-0800 (PST)  Carl Symons wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net>
>> wrote:
>
>>> Yep.  Go back to the first message in this thread and follow the links.
>>>  Very eye opening.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> You're right, some interesting reading there and on the links.
>>
>> The Go-oo homepage also says "Going forward, the Go-oo project will be
>> discontinued in favor of LibreOffice." Does that mean that LibreOffice
>> is driven by Novell too?
>>

> What do you think?
>
> Andy

Good question...especially as thinking sometimes gets me in trouble.

Not being privy to the Novell sale goings-on, I don't know how the
Novell/Microsoft arrangement unfolded, how much or what of the
agreements (reported on the Groklaw link, first post) between MS and
Novell are still in place, or who would be bound by them.

Based on what I've read and the actions of people associated with The
Document Foundation, I think that they are operating from true open
source principles. Further, I think that the structures put in place
around LibreOffice support an open source community.

So, pretty much not knowing what I'm talking about, I think that
LibreOffice is a valuable project worth using, supporting, caring
about. I appreciate that the LO founders jumped off into the unknown
with it.

Carl