On 9 Jun 2011, at 00:43, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 6:32 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
>>>
>>> Certainly being an independent, legally established foundation is
>>> critical, isn't it, as compare to one which is "just" a legally
>>> established one? Not saying that TDF isn't at all, but the
>>> 'independent' part is important.
>>
>> Not really hugely important, as long as everything is open to scrutiny and
>> beyond the control of any interested party - transparency is the key, just
>> like it is at Apache. Any organisation can be gamed - it's a function of
>> having rules, since "every system of rules contains within it the game that
>> plays it and ultimately subverts it"[1]. But it will indeed be good when TDF
>> is able to complete the bootstrap process so the innuendo can stop.
>
> Agreed... the only reason I mention "independent" is that even
> a clearly independent foundation such as the ASF has been alluded
> to be in cahoots with IBM/Oracle regarding all this, so I'm sure
> that TDF will get the same amount of scrutiny and baseless
> claims, and being able to point to their independence will nip
> that in the bud.

I'm always amused when Apache is accused of collaborating with any corporate
entity - it's obviously almost impossible for that happen. The problem is not
collaboration; it's gameability, and all rule-based and transparent entities
eventually suffer from it once they are fully understood by those most likely
to benefit from doing so.

S.