On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Fred Benenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Yeah, I don't think there's any question there of fair use (and forgive me
> for if it seemed like I was implying such a thing), but I guess I just have
> an increasingly dim view of fair use in the mainstream media -- NYTimes
> obviously takes these things well (and has in the past) and is good natured
> about media criticism, so I wouldn't expect anything else.
>
> The more I think about it the more I wonder if it is parody and not satire
> -- I don't want to get pedantic here, but I think its more about mocking the
> state of America rather than the NYTimes itself. Arguably the NYTimes
> declaring the war is over is the heart of the joke, but a substantial amount
> of the other work is closer to satire. It is conceivable that you could pull
> off this prank with any other newspaper brand, and maybe even with a purely
> fictional newspaper itself.

I was wondering the same, but in the end, I think it's a combination of both
— the project would be intrinsically different if they had printed a bunch
of "New York Global Herald" papers and distributed them. They were
definitely parodying liberal mainstream media and NYT, being  the paragon of
the genre, was the natural choice to parody.