Yeah, I don't think there's any question there of fair use (and forgive me
for if it seemed like I was implying such a thing), but I guess I just have
an increasingly dim view of fair use in the mainstream media -- NYTimes
obviously takes these things well (and has in the past) and is good natured
about media criticism, so I wouldn't expect anything else.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if it is parody and not satire
-- I don't want to get pedantic here, but I think its more about mocking the
state of America rather than the NYTimes itself. Arguably the NYTimes
declaring the war is over is the heart of the joke, but a substantial amount
of the other work is closer to satire. It is conceivable that you could pull
off this prank with any other newspaper brand, and maybe even with a purely
fictional newspaper itself.

~ ~ ~
thoughts / http://fredbenenson.com/blog
work / http://creativecommons.org