Yeah, I think so too -- but I worry that a court wouldn't see it in such a
way, though I could be wrong.

My IANAL understanding is that satire has a lesser degree of protection than
parody, due to the fact that parody, by its definition, requires use of the
original, whereas satire doesn't.

An article arguing as much:

http://grove.ufl.edu/~techlaw/vol9/issue1/collado.html

And the court precedent in the states:

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/ea50059bc5df2783882569520074e699/9956f7fcc672f7cd88256e5a0071e93a?OpenDocument

So no, satire doesn't seem as protected as parody.

SF

~ ~ ~
thoughts / http://fredbenenson.com/blog
work / http://creativecommons.org