Hi,

> Just about getting feet wet with jQuery, wrote a simple function which
> fills an input field with text of the link clicked after sorting the
> comma separated values. It is working as expected but would like to
> know if it can be made more comprehensive.

Your code is really good for a jQuery beginner ;-) Just small improvements:

$(document).ready(
    function(){
        // we can directly use the tagSelect-function here, because I changed
        // it to use this.text - what is this.text anway? Do you mean
        // $(this).html()?
        $('a.taglink').click(tagSelect);
    }
);

function tagSelect() {
    var t = $('#tags'); // this is used very often; if you meant
                        // $(this).html(), store it in a local variable as
                        // well, like
    // var txt = $(this).html();

    if( !t.val() ) {
            t.val(this.text);
            return;
    }

    var ss = t.val().split(this.text);

    if ( ss.length <= 1 ) {
            // don't use t.val to store a temporary value.
            var wa = (t.attr('value')+',' +this.text).split(",");
            wa.sort();
            t.val(wa.join()); // you always change t.val() again here

Christof