If there is no need for the additional function you could always just
write it like so:

$(document).ready(function() {
    $('a.taglink').click(function() {
       var t = $(#tags);

       if(!(t.val()) {
          t.val(this.txt);
          return;
       }

       var ss = t.val().split(this.text);

       if(ss.length <= 1) {
          var wa = (t.attr('value')+',' +this.text).split(",");
          wa.sort();
          t.val(wa.join());

But then again if you're using the tagSelect function for another
purpose then stick with Christof's code :-)

Allan