Rick,

You could use Ajax, but it might be simpler to use JavaScript validation. The jQuery validation plugin that Daemach pointed you to would be an example of that. I wrote a validation plug-in myself that I use for a client, and it works pretty well. I think the other plug-in is maybe more feature-full than mine is, but that's neither here nor there.

For your calculator, I'd definitely suggest JavaScript validation. Give a holler if you need help with that. I've not used the big jQuery validation plugin, but I can show you the one I wrote, and maybe it would suit your needs.

Cheers,
Chris

Rick Faircloth wrote:
First question I have is about which type of validation I need:
Ajax or non-Ajax?

Here's my current jQuery code... I believe it would be classified
as "Ajax", however, it doesn't mention "Ajax" anywhere, so I'm unsure...

    function CalculateMortgage(){

        var Params = {};
        // select all inputs of type text
        $("input:text").each(function(){
            Params[$(this).attr("name")] = $(this).val();
        });
                  // "post" the form.  The Param object mimics form fields
                        $.post("Mortgage_Calculation.cfm", Params,
function(data){
                                // this is the processing function.
                                // append what you get back to the element
with ID = Result after clearing its contents
                                 $("#Result").empty().append(data);
} );
    }

I have three form fields to validate:

Principal:  Validate for entry / Validate that entry is numerical after $ ,
. are all stripped from entry.
Interest:  Validate for entry / Validate that entry is numerical
Years:  Validate for entry / Validate that entry is numerical

There are so many examples on
http://bassistance.de/jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-validation
that I'm not sure which one is most appropriate.  I usually use RegEx to
validate the principal entry, too.

So... two questions...

Do I need the Ajax validation plug-in?
Which one of the examples would be best, or is it just a matter of style
preference.  ( I usually put
a general message at the top of the form stating that there are errors.
Then I put specific messages
above each form field.)

Thanks for any assistance and guidance!

Rick