Thanks for the guidance, Chris.  I'll have a look at
the code and see what I can do!

Rick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Christopher Jordan
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 4:41 PM
To: jQuery Discussion.
Subject: Re: [jQuery] Need some guidance...

Rick,

You could use Ajax, but it might be simpler to use JavaScript validation.
The jQuery validation plugin that Daemach pointed you to would be an example
of that. I wrote a validation plug-in myself that I use for a client, and it
works pretty well. I think the other plug-in is maybe more feature-full than
mine is, but that's neither here nor there.

For your calculator, I'd definitely suggest JavaScript validation. Give a
holler if you need help with that. I've not used the big jQuery validation
plugin, but I can show you the one I wrote, and maybe it would suit your
needs.

Cheers,
Chris

Rick Faircloth wrote:
First question I have is about which type of validation I need:
Ajax or non-Ajax?

Here's my current jQuery code... I believe it would be classified
as "Ajax", however, it doesn't mention "Ajax" anywhere, so I'm unsure...

    function CalculateMortgage(){

        var Params = {};
        // select all inputs of type text
        $("input:text").each(function(){
            Params[$(this).attr("name")] = $(this).val();
        });
           // "post" the form.  The Param object mimics form fields
                 $.post("Mortgage_Calculation.cfm", Params,
function(data){
                         // this is the processing function.
                         // append what you get back to the element
with ID = Result after clearing its contents
                          $("#Result").empty().append(data);
                   }
                 );
    }

I have three form fields to validate:

Principal:  Validate for entry / Validate that entry is numerical after $ ,
. are all stripped from entry.
Interest:  Validate for entry / Validate that entry is numerical
Years:  Validate for entry / Validate that entry is numerical

There are so many examples on
http://bassistance.de/jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-validation
that I'm not sure which one is most appropriate.  I usually use RegEx to
validate the principal entry, too.

So... two questions...

Do I need the Ajax validation plug-in?
Which one of the examples would be best, or is it just a matter of style
preference.  ( I usually put
a general message at the top of the form stating that there are errors.
Then I put specific messages
above each form field.)

Thanks for any assistance and guidance!

Rick