exactly joshua.

the thing of it is that if you already have a computer that runs illumos today
you are golden.  if you buy a new computer that wont run illumos on the metal
do not despair.  with virtualization you can still run illumos in a guest. with
virtual box you can do this on any mainstream OS for free. this comes with a
small performance penalty but most people are unlikely to find this
problematic.

and as joshua said - i am not opposed to people working on desktop support - i
just am unlikely to bother with it myself absent economic incentive.  i am
however absolutely unwilling to subject our community to excessive abuse for
any technical need - least of all for a vanish niche use case.

Sent from my iPhone