On 22 August 2016 at 00:36, Jim Klimov <jimkli...@cos.ru> wrote:
> Again, many of such my needs are well served by VNC on Solarish systems - but
> even that needs much of the GUI stack and libs.
>
> Home server uses are more of a both server and desktop usecases, naturally
> (especially if you play videos to the big TV - where video acceleration is
> useful), or just want to use a keyboard to manage the box (usb3 nag, although
> supporting the videocard also helps).

Support for XHCI, at least, is being worked on.

> So I wouldn't say this is an utterly useless direction, far from that.

The thing that bugs me about these discussions is it always feels like
endless, essentially academic rhetoric.  People on one side are saying
"it's not worth doing", because they don't personally need illumos to
run on the desktop.  People on the other side are saying "we cannot
live without it", but are then generally not doing the actual work to
make it happen.

You don't need to convince illumos discuss@ of the viability, or
non-viability, of illumos on the desktop.  What I think, or what
Garrett thinks, or what _anybody_ thinks is almost certainly not
relevant once somebody (or ideally several somebodies) with some skin
in the game start working on the problem.

If you need to port graphics bits from FreeBSD, or OpenBSD, or from
somewhere else, just start working on it!  Kernel development isn't a
dark art, or a secret club with handshakes and lodge hats; it requires
tenacity, and dogged persistence, but it's all just software.

If you want it, work on it!  Or find someone who will.  Many of us
will happily answer questions once you have them, and offer help with
the tools and the process where we can.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow