We ran a recent usability study and it was brought up in the post mortem
that perhaps users would be more comfortable if they didn't know we were the
designers. Not only 'more comfortable' and 'more honest' but also maybe less
'eager to please.'

Have you ever slightly altered who you are in order to obtain more honest
data from your users? I'm not talking about lying, but maybe being slightly
misleading or vague as to what your role is with the company.

Did you feel it was successful? Or do you think this is a pointless tactic?

Thanks,
Margaret