I don't alter myself or role, but a key is how to position the test
itself.  I stress the fact that my goal is to make the best possible
product/experience/interface for them, and their opinions are
crucial.  I stress  that they will not hurt my feelings and when
applicable, that it is not my work.  To be quite honest, when I tell
subjects it isn't my work you can physically see them relax slightly.

The best method for me generally is to reiterate that I'm there to
make something better.  I try to avoid the word "test" since no
matter  how many times you say you're testing the system/interface,
people always get a bit anxious.  If you paint it in the positive
light of you need their help to improve, people are generally more
suggestive and don't view it as criticism.

When possible, I think it wise not to have the designer be the test
facilitator.  I've run some tests where inexperienced designers have
been present and actually start discussing the design rationale with
the subject or defending their decisions.  Even if they don't
verbally interject into the test, their non-verbal reactions affect
the test and subject.  I wince whenever it's mandated or "asked" for
the designer to sit-in as I know my results will be pretty much useless.

Good luck!
Erin