I assume I'm going to get flak for this, but here goes...

>From my own perspective, here are my thoughts on why personas aren't more
abundant, why they aren't done well, and how they can be done more often:
1:  If someone can invent a 25th hour in the day, folks may use that time to
embed proper personas into their work
2:  Perhaps it's different in companies that are fully staffed for UCD work,
but I've seen about a dozen companies who barely have the time for an actual
*design* phase before development, much less anything that doesn't directly
impact the outcome of the project (yes, the perception is that "if it's not
wrapped up and presented to the user at the end, it's non-value-add"...I
don't make the rules, I just follow them).
3:  As a guerrilla UCD practitioner (no, I don't have a human factors
degree), I use the term "personas" only in a very loose sense, to capture
the known quantifiable statistics about my audience, and finish them out
with my own experience.  I wouldn't pretend my personas are valuable beyond
the direct work that I do, and would never submit them for UCD peer review.
I do about seven different jobs, so as expected, Personas get about 1/7th of
my time (at best).
4:   Instead of "fighting bad persona work", I would suggest proving to
people (by unambiguous example) how personas yield a better product.  My
greatest challenge as UCD director (yes, those who can't do, direct) at my
last company was not in educating people.  After the 3rd year most folks
understood most of the methods.  The challenge was proving that it improved
the outcome.  We eventually built several solid case studies that garnered
us respect in the IT project community.  Adding extra time to a 2 month
project for diligent research into personas is invaluable, but a tough sell.

5:  The fact in some groups is that the impact of unusable systems (for lack
of personas, for instance) is not borne by the people who built it.  They
have typically moved on long before users have begun feeling the effect.
Therefore, personas (and general UCD) must be sold to the business
customers, and not the tech leads in charge of implementation.  This one
applied to my last enterprise IT group, so it may not apply to design
firms...

Bryan
http://www.bryanminihan.com