Jared - I only quickly scanned the article and comments, but it didn't
seem like the pushback was aimed at your statement that non-data
driven personas either 1)just suck and shouldn't be used or 2)are
something else entirely.

It seemed the pushback was targeted to the name you gave the sucky
personas, which I can see. But again, I just scanned the article.
To me, it's common sense (did I just say that?) that if a persona
isn't data driven, it's not a persona. Frankly I don't really care
what it *is* called, because I think it's most likely bad practice and
shouldn't be given a name in the first place.

It disturbs me that some in our profession think a persona can be
non-data driven. It's bad for our profession if we have people out
there calling their guesswork personas. As you say, personas have been
well defined by many in our field for a long time. Heck, just the
general concepts that 1) user research is important, and 2) that it
should be based on well conducted, objective, non-biased techniques
and data is the core concept of UCD and should be common knowledge to
any UCD practitioner, IMO!!!!!!! I think I'm rambling but hopefully my
point is coming across.

Why is this happening and what can we do to fight it?

Jeff