On 19 Nov 2007, at 22:45, Ron Perkins wrote:
[snip]
> Both of those users will have a  fundamentally different experience,
> motivation and perspective for the
>  information from a CEO who may look at a dashboard view many times
> during
>  the day to make imporatant decisions.  Knowing all of these
> perspectives in
>  detail would prevent SQL commands from the UI except in places
> where Admins
>  need them, etc. (I saw this happen on a real product once)
>
>  So in addition to the communication value, there can be real design
> criteria
>  that emerge from detailed personas and the use cases that are
> different
>  under each one.
[snip]

That's been my experience too.... reminded me of something I wrote on
the agile-usability list last year...

<quote>
Yes! This is why I like using Persona names rather than Roles in
stories. Because the interesting breakdowns when thinning stories
happen around persona differences rather than role differences. The
core features for JimTheEagerHobbyPhotographer's CropPhoto will be
different from those of MarthaTheSeventyYearOldGrandma CropPhoto.

By using persona in conversation with the customer you get them to
start thinking about which kinds of user bring the most business
value to particular features. I often start with identical stories
that only differ by persona name, which then get broken down into
quite different features for implementation.
</quote>

Cheers,

Adrian