Why not take the bait?

The difference is that there are some situations in which personas in
general are not feasible or realistic, but a time/resource drain on a
project, and thus are not useful. So even if you had a well crafted
persona, it's not adding any value and might actually hurt the
project.

Also - unless there is a large design team which is separate from
research staff, personas might not provide any extra value to those
doing research + design. Chances are they'll acquire any knowledge
from ethnography that a persona might provide and don't need the
"report format" of a persona to refer to during design.

I'm sure I'm completely wrong on some semantic level of course :-)
But, this has been my experience and judging by various comments on
the thread I'm not the only one.

What are your thoughts Alan?

Jeff