On Nov 27, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Jeff White wrote:

> If a persona is a process, not a deliverable, then maybe we should
> call it that. If it's a process, how's it any different from
> conducting interviews, observation, ethnography, etc?

To keep our terminology straight at UIE, we've labeled the process of
creating personas as "persona creation". (We're not very
imaginative.) The usual deliverables we call a "persona description"
and a "persona reference card". The individual character is what we
call the "persona". So, a persona project would have one persona
creation process to produce 3 to 7 personas, each with a persona
description.

The persona creation process includes a research stage, whereby a
field study is the typical research instrument. (There is debate as
to whether field studies are always ethnographic research or if
ethnographic research is a variant of a field study. I don't think we
want to split that hair at this point.)

However, the persona creation process, in our definition, includes
three other stages: data analysis, persona and scenario deliverable
creation, and project integration.

> But I disagree with Alan, Jared and Todd
> **if** they are proposing that personas are always useful and should
> always be done.

I've never said they are always useful and should always be done.
They are a tool in the toolbox. Like any tool, they have their
contexts where they are valuable. There are contexts where their
value will not be worth the resource investment required.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks