> Yes, I'm expecting that the design decisions have some data to back them
> up, even if it's a quick and dirty gorilla method.

But why? Not all design work is rooted in user research. Sure, there may be
data of some kind to back up and inform design decisions, but this
information doesn't have to come from people - it can come from activity
research, for example.

People in other disciplines design successful products all the time without
studying specific audiences and without creating personas.

Good design can also simply be the result of a good designer putting a good
idea to work in a way that communicates and translates well. User research
is not the ultimate solution for designers and never has been.

(Forgive me if I'm assuming incorrectly that you think user research is
always the way to go.)

-r-