Hi,

I just mentioned it as a lighthearted jab... a bit of fun, I didn't
intend to get into an analysis of the registration process.

The biggest problem with the reg process is how disjointed it is from
the Interaction08 site... more of a visual design issue rather than an
interaction issue.  The biggest functional issue is that while the
payment is processing, refreshing the page accidentally will charge
your credit card twice, something that could be easily avoided with
some smart design and coding.

As for your p.p.s., i agree designers shouldn't "beat up" on a coder's
solution.. but if there is a designer involved and the coder is still
designing then there are serious problems.... problems that rest
squarely on the designer's shoulders.

again, although true, I intended my original comment in a poking-fun
way.  My intent with this thread is to try and meet other people from
the list at the conference.

matt.

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:42:52, pauric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Heyup Matt...
>
> Highlighting bad interaction design from the organisation is a fair
> thing to point out.  That said, one of the key traits of a good
> interaction designer is their ability to explain issues to
> developers.
>
> Being able to crit someone's work, in a constructive way, is a very
> important skillset. Leading in to that, its valuable to understand
> the reasons something might have failed.. the 'projects
> constraints'.  Personally, when I get brought in to fix a mess, I
> start with questions.  It brings people on board.  Demonstrates a
> willingness to understand why a coder created something that you view
> as a 'bad design', they are human after all.
>
> Also, it adds a lot of value to ixda.org/discuss if we can debate bad
> design instead of just pointing at it.
>
> Where do you feel the registration process fails, what would you do
> to improve it?
>
> Do a screengrab and annotate it if the issues are buried in the sign
> up process.  That will certainly get the discussion going
>
> kind regards - pauric
>
> p.s. the irony of 'complaining' about someone who 'complains' is
> not lost on me (o;
>
> p.p.s. I have nothing to do with the design, I just get a bee in my
> bonnet when I see designers beat up coders -unless- that designer has
> the goods to code a better solution themselves.

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=23261

Matt Nish-Lapidus
email/gtalk: [EMAIL PROTECTED]