As someone who architected the Masters program in Interaction Design
here at Malmö University, and co-teaching it for nine years now, I
have to disagree somewhat with Jay Kumar and take a middle road here.

Designing and prototyping is an essential part of the Masters, as I
see it, and one of the things that sets it apart from a degree in
human-computer interaction or cognitive science.

It is not that the prototype illustrates something already thought,
but what you are looking for is rather signs that the students is
capable of thinking by sketching and prototyping.

Plus, a prototype can be assessed in ways that a non-built design
can't (including, but certainly not limited to, conventional "user
testing.")

On the other hand, implementation and deployment usually falls far
outside the topical scope of a Masters thesis in interaction design.
Not to mention how far outside a normal student's time, skill and
resource limits it falls. Deploying a community website fully is
something completely different from finishing a work of visual art,
in my opinion.

To get back to your specific case, Jack, if your student had done her
degree work at our school I suppose I would have been looking for

- a design detailed to the level of a prototype presenting her new
ideas on how to "facilitate a community for female cancer victims", plus

- a good line of arguments backing her claim that the new design
would in fact facilitate the community. This is not equal to
"building the whole site, deploying, observing use in practice" but
could be approached by, e.g., a triangulation of
-- field studies of existing communities,
-- sociological theory on bereavement/illness community mechanisms,
-- reasoning around key design decisions and explored alternatives, and
-- experiments with elements of her key ideas through roleplay,
dramatization, or longitudinal mid-fi off-the-shelf-component-based
prototype testing.

Regards,
Jonas Löwgren