On Thursday, December 13, 2007, at 10:04AM, "Jeff White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>But, perhaps the gap between between academia and industry would be
>smaller if academics were more encouraged to go through the process of
>actually getting their research based designs built and deployed, in
>some way.

I think you are partially right here. Academia should be much more
enterprising. Academia would be served well if more of the research and
criteria were driven by the forces that exist in the marketplace. But often,
graduate students and professors do not have sufficient real world experience
to even simulate these criteria.

Similarly, the business world might do well to include some of the 'academic'
rigor when conducting research. I did an exhaustive heuristic evaluation of an
eCommerce site 2 years ago. Just last week the launch of a new site was
celebrated, yet none of the business and usability issues were even touched. It
does however have a very fun and pretty front page. The response from the
agency was along the lines of 'well, we can't tell our client that'. Too often
in the 'agency' world, research is simply a method of increasing billing and
justifying the projects that will garner more attention for the agency. (pardon
me - I think this is sounding like a rant)

Mark