To play devil's advocate...

I think the experience of the designer and CS student working together
to see a project through to implementation is invaluable to each in
many ways. Especially with something like a website or app.

I can see this one either way. When feasible, maybe students should be
encouraged to see something through. If that means going as far as
high fidelity prototypes in Flash, etc and then working with a few
others to actually build, launch and get a real reaction from the
product, then great. That type of experience would be excellent for
any designer, and an asset to a graduate wanting to work in industry.

Jeff