i have absolutely no background in design but i am extremely proficient at
creating old-school pixel-based artwork and animation - a skill i developed
back in the late 80s and early 90s during stints doing artwork for shareware
and low-end retail game development as well as for my own custom interfaces
for various programs I developed for Atari GEM (an early, single-task window
manager similar to the original Mac OS).

that experience has proved extremely valuable as i had to work under
significant design constraints from minimalist color palettes to limited
screen resolution and I still rely upon the knowledge i accumulated when
dealing with various restrictions imposed by today's platforms.

one can look back at the wealth of 80s and 90s GUI-based apps for both good
(and bad) ideas of how to deal with interface problems.

www.flyingyogi.com