Over the past 10 years, my interests and self-education have been:
Programming > Web Programming > Web Design > Usability (2000) > Human
Factors/HCI > UI design (2002) > narrowly-defined IxD > IA > broadly-defined
IxD/IA/UX (2004/05)

Over the same time frame, however, my work (mostly at short-lived,
student-oriented jobs) was:
IT support > Web Programming > IT+hardware support (2000) > UI+Web Design >
Database Programming > IA+IxD (although I didn't call it that at the time,
2002) > hardware assembly/troubleshooting > Web Design > framework-level
application programming > OpenGL programming (3d computer graphics) >
Information Visualization > Web Design+Programming (2004) > IA > InfoVis >
IxD > Virtual Reality + OpenGL programming > lab-based HF/Psych research >
"expert on a mountain"-styled heuristic evaluations (not my idea) > trying
to get a 'real' IxD job

I spend a lot of time trying to explain that I'm not just a techie,
seemingly in the same way many IxDs have to explain that they're not just
visual artists. :-/

Steven Pautz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://stevenpautz.com/