On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:25:03, David Malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> HTML Programmer > UI "Designer" (UI Engineer who did his own
> visuals; and badly) > Producer > Technologist > Information Architect
> > UI "Designer" (AGAIN) > Interaction Designer
>
> The journey took about 9 years and it wasn't until I joined this
> community that I really understood what design even was.

This is almost identical to my journey-
One of a million different late 90s "Web Designers" (read: I learned
HTML!), and this progressed and meandered, as in different roles I'd
take on graphic design, IA, BA, etc.
By the time I realized I was even on a career path, I'd become a sort
of Default UI Guy - if you needed HTML, XML/XSLT, CSS, PHP, ASP,
Javascript, a layout or a new button with a 2 pixel bevel, the Java
guys are too busy, so call on me!

I finally saw the light when working for a start-up producing a CRM
application and the fellow mentoring me in product development
introduced me to Edward Tufte's works.  7 months later, the business
shut down. While I scraped for a couple years by doing unmotivated
freelance work, codemonkeying just didn't satisfy anymore.  I'd be
frustrated with the small businesses and non-profits who just wanted a
template with their logo dropped in - it wasn't a matter of money, but
learning (and continuing to learn) that there's so much more - not
just lines of characters and inoffensive colors, but something that
appealed to my deeper appreciation of both arts and sciences.

This all led to my current position, which (much like the whole career
path) started with some HTML side work, but has since blossomed into a
larger world of user experience. I have the opportunity to be both a
student and the go-to guy for UI concepts and issues in my company.

Since joining this community (and connecting with SIGCHI-Atlanta and
UPA), I've gained quite a bit of perspective - especially with the
idea that many people get to focus almost exclusively on discrete
aspects of user experience, but also that there are plenty of people
like me who get to play Swiss Army Designer - for better and worse.

I look forward to meeting some of you in Savannah!

Cheers,
Scott
--
To be the eyes,