That specific implementation aside, I like the idea of 'collapsed
navigation' in certain situations. As Will implies - there are certain times
when navigation could be less important than other content on the screen.

For public websites, it seems a little risky. But for complex apps that
serve a niche user base and are used frequently, I like the concept of "get
stuff out of my way and let me do my job". They'd quickly learn how the
navigation works.

Jeff