Hi David:

" I shuddered when I read your top 10.
I wrote 5 pages and deleted all b/c I was really upset when writing it."

I assume you were not shuddering with delight? Really, I am sorry to have
caused you distress; that was certainly not my intention.

" I think that you need to re-think the above in the context of IxDA a bit
more. The pull to generalize and break down walls feels noble, but it is in
that light of UPA and CHI trying to own UX that IxDA was born. It didn't
work and doesn't work b/c it doesn't respect the REAL differentiation of
culture and practice and discipline that exists among *designers* from other
parts of the UX puzzle."

I understand that your emotion comes from frustration at the unwillingness
of other organizations to recognize that some designers are coming from a
different place. To me, that is more an educational process than anything
else. I was a UPA Board member for some years; that does not make me hostile
to IxDA in any way. Obviously, since I am participating fully with you all.
In any organization you will find people who are narrow-minded; some will
change with exposure to new ideas others will never shift.

Nor do I have any problem with there being multiple organizations
representing people with different styles, skills or focus. I think that
people should be free to join IxDA, join UPA, join SIGCHI -- personally I am
a member of all three -- and put their effort where it works for them.

Again, let me say I understand your pain and frustration. I often feel the
same way when interacting with professional associations which are difficult
groups to manage since everyone is a volunteer. Where perhaps we differ is
in the assumption that we have to be at odds with other organizations and
that this type of split is good for the profession. It is not.

I have written many words on this list, trying to make the case that we are
one profession with different emphases and we, the practitioners, should be
free to move around and acquire all the skills that make us as effective
designers as possible. That's not about being noble. It is about defining us
in a way that maximizes our impact and income.

The process of politics is a frustrating and painful one. Personally, I
don't particularly enjoy it. But at the end of the day we need to reconcile
and work together because we have common goals and need to present a common
front to the outside world.

On a personal note, I am very grateful that you played a major role in
creating IxDA. I think that the large number of people who have signed up
for the list is proof that there was a need for this organization and that
its existence makes sense. Now we have to take the next steps to grow into
the kind of organization that can truly be effective for its membership.

In my opinion, that will not happen if we are focused on proving that we are
different from everyone else. By all means, we should be clear what we stand
for and advocate for the type of design and profession that we want to be.
But I feel we have bigger and more important battles to fight. Quoting again
what you said, " It didn't work and doesn't work b/c it doesn't respect the
REAL differentiation of culture and practice and discipline that exists
among *designers* from other parts of the UX puzzle." I will accept that
perhaps it didn't work. I don't believe that it cannot work. I believe that
we should dedicate significant effort to making it work. The payoff will
benefit us all.

Best,

Charlie