On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Charles B. Kreitzberg <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In my opinion, that will not happen if we are focused on proving that we
> are
> different from everyone else. By all means, we should be clear what we
> stand
> for and advocate for the type of design and profession that we want to be.
> But I feel we have bigger and more important battles to fight. Quoting
> again
> what you said, " It didn't work and doesn't work b/c it doesn't respect
> the
> REAL differentiation of culture and practice and discipline that exists
> among *designers* from other parts of the UX puzzle." I will accept that
> perhaps it didn't work. I don't believe that it cannot work. I believe
> that
> we should dedicate significant effort to making it work. The payoff will
> benefit us all.

Let's just say I disagree and arrogantly so, admittedly. Since I'm no longer
a board member, or vice-president, I've been taking a more free position
with my language on this list.

I very unhumbly believe that IxD is the future of all UCD. not usability,
not IA, not visual design, not industrial design, no HCI research. it is why
I have been passionately focused on IxDA for almost 5 years (
http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1415621296&channel=1274129191).

Jeff Howard and I have different paths to where we got where we are, but the
design of interactions at a systemic level to me and understanding
interaction system design as an act of aesthetic creation is THE key
differentiator of organizations of all types around the world. Understanding
the complex field surrounding interaction as a distinct practice and design
discipline is my own personal mission and the one that I hope IxDA continues
to be about.

To do so IxDA needs to stay focused on differentiating, defining, advancing
and advocating IxD.

I disagree w/ your economic premise in so far as I believe the call towards
UX is one that is LESS valuable. it is too generic, and it too easily feels
to many that it can be replicated easily. It is the story of MS, and not the
story of Apple (to be economically simple).

(BTW, did you get that Andrei? before you asked me to speak for IxDA. I'm
just like you now...Just another verbose pain in the butt waiting for his
turn to get "moderated".[all in good fun])

--dave

--
David Malouf
http://synapticburn.com/