Awesome topic!

This is so relevant to the work I'm doing now, and I'm happy to see
others bringing this up for discussion. My input is in the context of
a bunch of people bringing their work into a room, presenting it, then
the whole room critiquing each idea. Not really a stakeholder review
of a prototype, participatory design session, JAD session, etc.

Here are the ground rules that have allowed my design team to run
successful critique sessions with developers (yes! eek! those evil
developers who most of us seem to think should just wait on the other
side of the wall for our design specs to come flying over and then
implement our grand visions with no questions asked!) yes, I know I'm
exaggerating. It's Friday :-) Really though - letting the developers
we work with participate in concept ideation sketches and go through
critique has been a huge win for our organization in lots of different
ways. There are lots of interesting relationships between this
approach and the things we heard our thought leaders speak about at
interaction08. Or if you didn't attend, the things our thought leaders
spoke about at interaction08. :-)

A colleague of mine and I have been conducting "design studios" with
teams of engineers over the past year. It has been a huge success for
reasons I won't drone on about right now because it's a bit off topic.
But here are the ground rules we establish with our teams:

1. Criticism is a gift that you need to learn how to embrace and be
thankful for. Letting your work be critiqued, critiquing your own
work, and critiquing the work of others builds your design chops and
communication skills in many different ways. The critique process is
key for any designer, no matter what the discipline - graphic design,
interaction design, industrial design, architecture, etc.

2. Critique the design, not the designer. It's not a personal attack.
Be professional.

3. Others finding flaws in your work is a good thing, it doesn't mean
you did a bad job, it just means the critique process is working.
Again, don't take it personally, learn to use it to make your future
design efforts all the better. Spotting flaws early on (especially if
you're in the sketch phase, before any code is present) is priceless
for any project.

4. There's some good in every design. One germ of goodness in a
"horrid" design can turn into a huge, positive idea.

That's pretty much it. Lots more to say, but it all stems from those
core principles.

Thanks for a fun topic,

Jeff