> The critique, as practiced in design schools, is applicable to
> projects at a professional level too.

Jack,

I guess that was the thought of the original poster.

However, one of the first replies provided a guideline in the general
direction of "never ask questions of the presenter, only state
grounded assessments."

When I read that, I realized that the contexts must be quite different.

One of my essential techniques for *teaching* during a critique
session is to combine questions with my own assessments.

The ideal is to create a pedagogical situation where the presenting
student and I together construct a rationale (or a line of reasoning)
on the fly which

1. supports some of the design decisions,
2. questions other design decisions,
3. hints at promising alternatives, and
4. directs the attention of the presenting student (and the class) to
other noteworthy work in the domain.

When it works, it is great.
When it doesn't work, it is awkward and sometimes even embarassing.

But I tend to stick to it, as I think the pedagogical benefits
outweigh the inconveniences. However, I am certainly not claiming
that it is a good technique if the aim is strictly to improve the
product. Hence my attempt to distinguish "pedagogical critique
sessions" from "constructive critique sessions".

Regards,
Jonas Löwgren