Great topic!

It depends on my mood.  I tend to go with familiar stuff (either with or
without lyrics) when I need to hunker down.  I do better if I can hum along
in my head (I'm in an a cappella group, so singing to myself is calming).

On recent "try new music" days, I've discovered:
Rilo Kiley
Pink Martini

When I need to hunker down (in order of preference):
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon/The Wall
The Beatles' later stuff
Billy Joel (anything)
Lionel Richie and the Commodores
Huey Lewis and the News

Great background music (not necessarily slow/mellow though):
classical (fan of Dvorak as well)
"The Thomas Crowne Affair" soundtrack
soundtracks from Pixar films
"Ocean's 11/12/13" soundtrack