Bill DeRouchey asked this question just a few weeks ago and got some pretty
authoritative answers. It traces back, most recently, to a harmonized
standard that has been given different numbers by ISO and the IEEE.

You can see the comments from industrial designers at
http://www.historyofthebutton.com/2007/01/30/printer-icons-design-by-habit/

According to the standards, the two components are a vertical stroke and a
circle. When the vertical stroke goes through the top of the circle, the
meaning is "standby".

Best wishes,

Bruce Esrig