Why would it lose its meaning in an underdeveloped country??

I think you would have to travel pretty far to find a country where people
didn't know the meaning of 0 and 1.
And if you where even able to find a country that didn't know 0 from 1,
didn't have engineers and didn't have electricity they wouldn't need a power
button anyway :-)
Btw, check out the symbol used on the power button on the One Laptop Per
Child.

I've thought a little bit about why I react to this discussion. I agree that
the symbol is very engineer-ish, not especially intuitive and not
particularly good looking. But as an IxD I jump at ANY chance to build on
prior knowledge, things people know. This symbol has been around for 40
years, is standardized, is culture-proof - interpreted in exactly the same
way over the entire globe. Are there more than a handful of other symbols in
the same league? The play/pause symbol qualifies I guess. Why would anyone
want to mess with a symbol that is universally recognized? Why not try to
fix the gazillion of things that are broken instead of breaking the few
things that work? I don't get it.

This is turning into a rant. Sorry! :-)

Morten

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:39:21, Loren Baxter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This may be the simplest form of an "engineering driven interface"
> ever encountered.  1 vs 0?  Closed vs open circuit?  Show that symbol
> to someone in an undeveloped country and it loses its meaning.
>
> It's certainly easy to think of a more intuitive symbol using
> natural phenomena rather than artificial.  Use the sun: circle for
> off, circle emitting rays for on.  But I do wonder: how could such an
> entrenched standard as the power symbol ever change?

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=26596

Morten Hjerde
http://sender11.typepad.com